2005 - 2006
Erstwhile constituents of NAGAR now amalgamated:
Clean Air (CA); CitiSpace (CS); Clean Sweep Forum (CSF)
CA: A member of the Co-ordination Committee constituted by the High Court, August 2002
High Court appointed Co-ordination Committee: tried to fine-tune Ambient Air quality monitoring and curtail emission of white smoke.
Bombay First Taxi Report
The Bombay First Taxi Report was released and its recommendations were submitted to the Government of Maharashtra. CA was part of the process.
Institutionalization of the ALM concept
- CA & CS attended and participated in the Mill Land hearings and partnered with other NGOs to try and rationalize the extremely lopsided orders delivered by the Supreme Court on the matter.
- CA & CS participated with CS in meetings on hawking and non-hawking zones.
- CA & CS participated with CS in TISS seminar on Slum Rehabilitation issue and put forward certain schemes which were holistic and included the availability of funds from sources like the Homeless Guarantee Fund in the UK.
- CA & CS actively participated in Loksatta’s Vote Mumbai Campaign.
- Project Report on the viability of ALMs completed by the partners – AIILSG and CSF; submitted to the MCGM towards the end of September 2005. It was received well by Mr. Ratho, the AMC in charge of SWM, and the parameters of payback to the ALMs were discussed in the meeting itself resulting in MCGM pledging a generous amount to waste-managing ALM
- Concept Note for the same was to be prepared by Mr. Prakash Sanglikar, DMC, SWM, to be placed before the Commissioner for his approval before being sent to the Standing Committee; in February 2006
- CSF and AIILSG held two workshops at the AIILSG placing the Report and its recommendations before the larger audience of NGOs and ALMs, where a large number of people attended and pledged support to the cause of ALMs as recommended by the Report.
- As per a directive from the State Dept. of Environment, MCGM has to come up with a complete ‘Dry waste management Plan’ in order to prevent a situation like that of 26 July 2005. CSF has worked behind the scenes with the three main Ragpicker organizations to get them on to the discussion table with each other, a somewhat difficult task.
- CSF participated in a Workshop organized by MCGM on the proposed Eco-Housing Scheme for Mumbai; submitted our views in writing to be considered in the finalization of the scheme.