2013 - 2014
Erstwhile constituents of NAGAR now amalgamated:
Clean Air (CA); CitiSpace (CS); Clean Sweep Forum (CSF)
Restructuring and Institutionalisation of NAGAR
Public Open Spaces
- NAGAR began discussions regarding its future with a view to institutionalise and professionalise the organisation. It was felt that this had become important if NAGAR was to fulfill its mandate fully and efficiently due to the growing demand of work with the breakdown of Mumbai's infrastructure and Governance.
- The process of the transition from functioning as Constituents to functioning as NAGAR was discussed and it was decided by the Trustees that all the three constituents of NAGAR will be amalgamated into one single body as ‘NAGAR’. Issues related to court cases that CS was involved in and the Expert Committee at MCGM would be dealt with by the former Convenor and Co-convenor of CS
- NAGAR would henceforth use the acronym alone and its letterhead will read as ‘NAGAR – Governance, Advocacy, and Renewal’
- NAGAR launched its new website by registering its domain name as www.nagar.org.in and changed its email id to email@example.com
Solid Waste Management
- NAGAR partnered with Grey Worldwide, an advertising company, on the issue of saving playgrounds under their campaign “Saving Childhood”. The posters of this campaign were prepared with inputs from NAGAR
- NAGAR Trustees attended several meetings of the Expert Committee, constituted by a G.R. under the Chairmanship of the Municipal Commissioner to formulate a ‘Uniform Policy for Comprehensive Planning & Development of the Open Spaces within limits of the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai’. The final Report was expected to be ready by October 2014.
- NAGAR participated in Regional Stakeholders’ meeting on unintentional POPs (Persistent Organic Pollutants) – dioxin and furan on 23rd December, 2013
- NAGAR attended MCGM’s workshop on “Decentralized Waste processing” at F/South Ward office and as a response a letter was sent to the Municipal Commissioner on the status of Solid Waste Management
NAGAR participated in an exhibition and conference, organized by GuideStar India, “Giving Back – NGO India 2014” held on 25th and 26th September, 2014. NAGAR displayed its work at the exhibition stall on public open space surveys conducted and People Public Private Partnership Model submitted to the Prime Minister of India for his Swachh Bharat Abhiyan (Clean India Campaign)
- NAGAR participated in Youth for Governance programme organized by PCGT on 27th January, 2014
- NAGAR attended several discussions and workshops on the Development Plan 2014-2034 held by UDRI and the MCGM
- The final order on the Hawker Matter was delivered by the Supreme Court on 19-9-2013. In future, any dispute arising on this subject will be heard only by the Bombay High Court.
- The Parliament passed the Street Vendors (Protection of Livelihood and Regulation of Street Vending) Act 2014 in the winter session of Parliament. Subsequently as per the SC order and the Act a Town Vending Committee (TVC) was formed in Mumbai under the Chairmanship of the Municipal Commissioner to formulate and implement Hawking & Non-Hawking Zones in Greater Mumbai. A NAGAR Trustee was co-opted on it in the NGO category.
The CS SRA case, filed in 2002, came up for final hearing on 29-8-2013 after twelve years. It was decided by the Justices that under the aegis of the Advocate General the Parties in the matter should sit together and find a solution to the issue of working out alternative rehabilitation schemes for slum dwellers currently encroaching on Reserved Public Open Spaces. Several meetings have been held and the process is continuing.